Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Feel the Pain

This evening I had some time to revisit the first violin concerto I had ever performed, the Barber Violin Concerto. As I schmaltzed through the second movement I noticed that my teacher, then Eric Peterson of the CSO, had inscribed below a particularly melodramatic section the words "Feel the Pain". I can picture a skinny younger copy of me looking at that inscription and thinking "what on Earth does that mean?" Well today I finally felt the pain and it was good. If you have the time to spare, take a moment to listen and be enveloped in the musical satin of Samuel Barber:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFQqqC0I_GI

2 comments:

Jane said...

If you say so then it is so. That's all I've got in the musical world. I know what I like but I couldn't tell you why.

Anonymous said...

Scrumptious!
Thank you for the treat.