Saturday, January 22, 2011

Freedom

When you think of the word "freedom", certain ideas come to mind. The ability to make choices and freedom from oppression or confinement. I submit an addition to the list: Freedom from pesky credit unions.

Story goes: when moving from Upstate New York to Colorado, I "attempted" to close out my account with the local bank; however, their mystical "you-need-us" powers were too great for my gullible defense. So during and after the move, I simply forgot about it and found a new bank. Fast-forward two years and I discover that I am now in debt to said credit union, on account of a policy stating something to the effect "in the absence of a monthly direct deposit, we will deduct x dollars from your account".

I grudgingly pay the amount due, and interestingly enough, have certifiable proof of riddance in the form of a one cent check! Now the question bears mentioning; what things can you buy with a penny?

2 comments:

Jane said...

I am always amused when 'they' spend the price of a stamp to send a check for less than that.
Bureaucrats.

Anonymous said...

Very wary I am of the new "automatic" twist. They automatically send/or/take and it's up to you to stop their services.
GOOD LUCK!!
I nail them right in the middle of their presentation concerning this evil twist; then bid them a fond farewell.