Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My proton can beat up your proton

Did you hear the news? The one about setting the stage for the re-enactment of the so called Big Band? Well thanks to the science of high-energy particle collisions - and no we're not talking about the aftermath of eating Taco Bell - it may be conceivable to unlock the great mysteries of the big wide space we call the universe. The makeup of the universe - and no we're talking about my sister's bathroom countertop - has been a subject upon many a geek's mind ever since the first erector set debuted in 1911. This news has also brought to light the possiblity of creating microscopic black holes and spawning droves of badly made sci-fi hollywood movies. So according to columnist Barry Bateman, "If you find yourself fighting the gravitational pull of a black hole some time on Wednesday[Sept 10, 2008], you will know things went horribly wrong with the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)." I have yet to feel any backward gravitational effect but if anyone is in disagreement than do share. With the recent news of colliding protons and theoretical black holes I thought I'd pose the question: what do you think it would be like to fall into a massive black hole? For myself I think it would be like the yoga session from H E double L O. I'm still recovering from an overly ambitious work out last Friday and if its anything like what my pectorals are feeling right now then beam me up Scotty.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I guess nothing went horribly wrong with the Large Hadron Collider...and a black hole could be kind of fun. Maybe.

Anonymous said...

Love your style! M'thinks ye have stumbled on a latent talent. Keep polishing it....'tis worth the shine!!!