Monday, December 15, 2008

Camp Outs and Symphonies

I had planned to go with the scouts from our ward on a camp out over the weekend but received word late that it was a no-go. Good thing since the temperature was in the single digits Fahrenheit. My first real winter camp out was with my older brothers up in the Rockies. Being the youngest I had inherited my brother's boots, having served faithfully, but now these buskins were a beat away from their final fermata. As the sun began to set I could feel my feet getting colder and colder. My oldest brother Rhys somehow knew I wasn't doing well and graciously removed my boots to rub my frozen feet and put on a nice warm pair of wool socks. I'm sure his hands were freezing but he was so focused on helping me. So when I remember boy scouts and camp outs I will always remember that simple act of kindness.

In other news I joined the musicians union in an effort to play Handel's Messiah this weekend. I can't wait to get back into an orchestra!! The money part isn't so bad either but if I had to, I would pay real money just to play. What an absolute thrill to be enveloped in the warmth of symphonic sound - Handel's Messiah nonetheless.

3 comments:

Rocketgirl said...

I have so many memories of those sweet moments of service our big brother gave us in our annoying, little sibling years. Remember the time he found us lost and crying in the mall, and he bought us Mrs. Fields cookies to cheer us up? Thanks for making my heart happy today.

Andwho do you get to play the Messiah with??

Anonymous said...

On this cold Colorado night your blog has made me warm and cozy.
Thank you.

Jane said...

How awesome that you get to play that composition AND in that hall. You're so talented.
(And I like your oldest brother too.)