Saturday, December 13, 2008

Conversation Power

Like an inconspicuous pixel in the sea of bytes chattering back and forth, the seeker of gab listens to the ongoing conversation in earnest but fails to awake the tongue from its hibernating sleep. The ability to contribute to meaningful conversation is a greatly sought talent. I admit I am not a great conversationalist but I would really like to know what does it take to become one? I am by nature an observant fellow but I do not believe I must be confined by nature. So, your thoughts?

6 comments:

Rocketgirl said...

My rule that I try to follow when attempting to be a fabulous conversationalist is to try to come up with questions to what the person says. That way I get deeper into what they're talking about, and keep my mouth from talking about me. I tend to go on about myself a tad much... so that's what I TRY to do. I like communicating with you!

Anonymous said...

When I was about your age I came across two pithy sayings that have guided my conversational zigs 'n zags.
#1
Small people talk about people
Average people talk about things
Great people talk about ideas
#2
Small conversationalists speak in
First Person [I]
Average conversationalists speak in
Third Person [we]
Clever conversationalists speak in
Second Person [you/your]

The best beginnings start with honest desire.

Jane said...

The fact that you want to learn is the most important step. I've heard - and fail to execute all of the time - that the key to great conversations is being able to ask open ended questions. Ones that aren't answerable with "yeah," "no," and "right."

Chris said...

I don't know, but the drawing of those little people is awesome.

A New Leaf said...

Actually, I disagree - I think you're a great conversationalist. I look for the interesting and unexpected in a good conversation - you have always fulfilled this. :)

Liliya said...

I love talking to people who have a passion for something - they inspire me. I also like open minded and curious people, in one conversation they can take you to the information you would never expected to find.