Monday, April 13, 2009

To Bake or Not To Bake

It is written that if your eye should offend you, to pluck it out and cast it away. Well, just so happens that crumby bread is no exception. Last night I set the bread master to bake a delicious loaf of honey wheat goodness only to discover a hardened lump of gluten plastered to the inside of the bread machine. May this be a lesson to all: eye-balling a bread recipe is bad. very bad...

Precise measurements are crucial and great care should be taken to ensure correct ingredient amount, nigh unto the atomic weight. So I ended up making my regular pbj sandwich on butt bread today which tasted just like it sounds, though looking on the brighter side, I think I've invented a material more resilient than articular cartilage.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I thought those fancy-dancy bread-making machines were fool-proof. Whoda thunk the next medical miracle break-through would come from a bread-making machine.

Jane said...

Did it just not cook long enough, or were you short on a few items, like yeast, say, and improvised? Because bread, staple of life that it is, does have an attitude if it doesn't get it's way.

Anonymous said...

Rhys here, "butt bread" OMG I am convulsing from not laughing loudly right now in the library. You are sooo funnny.